Dr. Pierangelo Gröning
- Member of Empa's Board of Directors
- Head of Department "Advanced Materials and Surfaces"
- Head of Research Focus Area "Nanostructured Materials"
- President Research Commission of Empa
Area of Expertise
Surface- & Nano Technology, Plasma Technology, Adhesion & Friction, Photoemission Spectroscopy, REM
Membership in National and International Committees
- Swiss Academy of Engineering Science (SATW), Member
- Nanotechnology Commission of SATW, Member
- Competence Centre for Materials Science and Technology (CCMX) of the ETH Domain, Member Steering Board
- Swiss Association for Materials Science and Technology (SVMT), Member
- IASTED International Conference on Nanotechnology and Applications, Member Scientific Program Committee
- Swiss Micro- and Nanotechnology Network (SWISS MNT), Committee Member
- Swiss User Group Surfaces and Interfaces (SAOG), Committee Member
JACS; Phys. Rev. Lett.; Phys.; Rev. B.; J. Vac. Sci. and Technol.; Appl. Phys. Lett.; J. Appl. Phys.; Adv. Eng. Mat.; Thin Solid Films; Polymer; Physica E; Electrochemical and Solid-State Letters; Diamond and Related Materials; Materials Science & Engineering B; IEEE Transaction on Nanotechnology
Teaching / Research Commissions
- Education and Research Committee of the Association of the Swiss Lubricant Industry (VSS-Lubes), President
- Vigier Foundation, Expert
- International Master Course "Micro- und Nanotechnology" of Euregio Bodensee, University of Applied Science Vorarlberg (Austria), Module Coordinator and Lecturer
- Fondation Suisse pour la Recherche en Microtechnique (FSRM),Lecturer
- PhD School of EPFL, Lecturer
- Laboratory for Ion Beam Physics at ETH Zurich, Member Board of Trustees
- Professional Carreer
- 2006 – present Empa, Head of Departement "Advanced Materials and Surfaces"
- 2003 – 2011 Empa, Head of nanotech@surfaces Laboratory in Thun
- Responsible for Apprentice Training of Physics Laboratory Technicians
- 1993 – 2003 University of Fribourg, Group leader "Plasma Technology"
- 1981 – 1986 ABB Turgi, Development of Electronic Power Converters for Railways
- 1993 PhD in Physics, University of Fribourg, Institute of Physics, Solid State Physics Group (Prof. L. Schlapbach)
- 1984 – 1989 Diploma in Physics and Mathematics University of Fribourg
- 1978 – 1981 Graduate studies in Electric-Engineering, Diploma HTL, Engineer School Biel/Bienne
- 1974 – 1978 Apprenticeship in Electro-Mechanics, Autophon AG, Solothurn